Ph.D., University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Now semi-retired, Steve worked primarily in cow-calf production, mostly in a 44-county area of Central and West Central Texas, containing about 1.25 million beef cows. In present position since 1973. Emphasis in recent years has been on educational programs in adapted genetic strategies, which includes sequential consideration of:
- non-genetic circumstances (environment, nutrition, general management, marketing);
- applicable animal functional levels;
- appropriate breeding systems;
- breedtypes to match above considerations;
- selection of individual animals through Expected Progeny Difference (EPD) and other measures to optimize performance and heighten profit.
Also Dr. Hammack has been active in junior beef cattle educational programs.